Monday, November 16, 2009

Writing can be fun???

Today we welcome guest blogger David Seven, NaNoWriMo Municipal Liaison for Port Elizabeth:

So it is now nearly two thirds of the way through NaNoWriMo and as I write this I am slightly ahead of schedule (Slightly). This year I went for the slow and sure approach rather than the fast and furious. What I mean is that I am writing the whole novel by hand. Madness? Possibly; But enjoyable madness.

50000 in 30 days is madness and we all need some way to make it fun for us as we do it, as with any writing. For you, that might be wearing a silly hat while you write, or rewarding yourself for every thousand words. For me, the way to make it fun, is to feel the old-fashioned delight of watching word after word appear indelibly on my page. It fills me with a sense of satisfaction like no other, even on the days I only write 50 words. Writing by hand makes me feel more like a writer, and less like a typist. It makes it feel more like creativity, and less like work. It lets me put the book down with a feeling of accomplishment at the end of each day, which I will never get from switching off a computer.

What makes writing fun for you? How do you keep it interesting for the time it takes to struggle through? Why am I asking so many questions?

You can visit David at his blog: http://davidseven.wordpress.com/ or at the official Nano site.

No comments:

Post a Comment