Today's post is a guest post from author Peter Barker on his experience at the ROSACon 2018 conference held in Johannesburg in September.
* * *
When I signed up for the 2018 ROSA conference I was a bit apprehensive that I would be hearing a lot of the same stuff again. This was the third conference that I have attended and the second one where I have attended the entire conference. My apprehensions were set aside. I discovered that there is always more to learn.
What did I learn? Where there were concurrent sessions I of course did not attend the alternate presentations. I left the conference a great deal wiser on:-
- Portraying Emotional conflict in writing
- The wonders of an internet product called Wattpad
- The market for Christian and other inspirational literature
- The legal and business side of writing
- Goal setting
- The latest and greatest in writing trends
- The status of marketing books in SA and abroad
- How to write a synopsis
- The secrets of market related copy writing
- Overcoming self defeating behaviours
- What to do with difficult heroes
- Advertising on the Internet
Those of you who couldn’t make it this year, see what you missed! Don’t make the same mistake next year. Be there!!
What I also appreciate about attending the conferences is the opportunity to talk about writing with like minded people. When I get excited about an aspect of writing around the dinner table at home I notice eyes rolling and yawns being stifled. It was wonderful to sit down at meal times at the conference and at the banquet and have a really good in depth discussion about our beloved craft.